Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Every once in a while I have an urge to press my gums hard.

Customer Question
It feels good and hurts...
Every once in a while I have an urge to press my gums hard. It feels good and hurts at the same time. I'll sometimes use a toothpick and press it hard between my teeth, and it feels best if I do it at the base of a tooth. The next morning this urge goes away. What does this mean?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 3 days by:
8/29/2015
Dentist: Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD replied 2 years ago
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

It sounds like you have a compulsive behavior issue rather then a problem with your mouth or gums.

I suggest you consult with a psychiatrist who is well versed in treating OCD.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

While I understand your answer, I was dissatisfied with it. You're opinion was short and didn't elaborate at all. While it Is debatable whether or not I have OCD, I told you in my question that the urges I described only occurred occasionally. One would think that if this was a behavioral issue, it would be occurring more regularly. I've never heard of someone with OCD lapse in their behavior. That is why it is called 'obsessive'.
Dentist: Dr. Ravoof, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thanks for your question.

Basically there are various impulse-control disorders which are characterized by the inability to resist an intense impulse, drive, or temptation to perform a particular act that is obviously harmful to self or others, or both. For the diagnosis of these disorders one requires history-taking by a therapist that reveals several episodes of loss of control. These are a spectrum of disorders which include various impulse control disorders such as compulsive buying, self harm, or mobile phone compulsion. Hence please contact a therapist and get diagnosed accurately as the first step, later you may get behavioral therapy for the treatment and this will be beneficial to control the urge.

Take care.

Now that is a better answer. Thank you.

Dear customer,

You are welcome.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating.

Thanks.

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor