Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Frustrated!!! I finished 10 days of antibiotics and still

Customer Question
could not chew and now...
frustrated!!! I finished 10 days of antibiotics and still could not chew and now swelling is bad again and pain is severe just to lightly touch my face where it's swollen. Also in very back sort of behind molar it is really sore and looks like it's
bleeding. Nobody will listen to me when I tell them something is wrong. I'm seeing a different oral surgeon but he could not get me in until tomorrow. I have basically been on liquids for 2 months now. I can't open mouth enough for a normal spoon of food without
pain.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
I've heard fracture can cause this. What are the signs of a fracture vs infection? I've also had the tissue under right side of tongue get really sore and last night tissue peeled off and feels raw now. What else could this be? Ugh I'm a mess!
I tried to get picture of where it's really red and bleeding behind 2nd molar. This just keeps looking worse too.
8/25/2015
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

It sounds as if there are still some pieces of necrotic bone still in the socket? Was this a difficult extraction? Which antibiotic were you on and what dose were you taking? Do you have swelling under the angle of your jaw?

The oral surgeon never said a word about whether it was difficult extraction. I was on Clindamyacin 300mg 4x a day. Plus prior did 2 -7 day rounds of penicillin, one at surgery time and another a month or so later. The swelling is from where jaw sort of like hinges(?) and goes down under jaw bone like jaw line also swollen.
my teeth are killing me!!

It is highly unusual for you to be experiencing this kind of pain 2 months after wisdom teeth extraction.If there was a fracture,there would be a discrepancy in your bite and your teeth would not mesh properly.You were on an adequate dose of antibiotic to combat any infection.It is important at this point to have the area xrayed and reviewed by another oral surgeon.At two months post op,you should not be having these problems.

I will be on the road for an hour or so but I will check back with you when I get to work.

Thank you again for your advice. At this rate I could've gone to Maryland and gotten you to fix it. I really appreciate the follow up you have provided. I was able to see an oral surgeon an hour and a half away who's been in practice for a really long time. I have known a lot of people that he's treated over the years including my parents and brother. I gave him the history and he did a new xray. I had a pus pocket and he had to cut it open again. Once he opened it he said there were a lot of bone fragments in there. I'm really sore tonight but finally have someone that listens to the patient and doesn't just think he's the dr so he knows it all. He put a packing in it until my appointment on Friday. Now my concern is leaving in 2 weeks for a 2 week trip to India for work. Liquid diets don't work well when traveling. Hope it's healed by then.
Since I have felt like nobody took me seriously I told him "I'm really not just being a wimp. I can handle pain. I went 8 days with dry socket before I called dr in June." He said "It's ok sweetie. I believe you and we're gonna get this fixed." Such a super nice guy. But I don't want to hear that digging, crunching sound again. Ever.

I suspected the necrotic bone earlier and so should have the oral surgeon who originally did the surgery.You will get better now and you should be ready for your trip without all of this pain.I am glad that you got someone who had a brain to see you.Please let me know how you are doing. I will check back with you to see if you are ok.When you get a chance,please leave a rating so that we can maintain good quality control.Thanks and stay well.

Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)