Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

Is there any way to repair a tooth with a cracked root,

Customer Question

Is there any way to repair a tooth with a cracked root, short of extraction and replacement implant?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 years ago.
Welcome .I will do my best to answer your question.I am not a great typist,be patient and feel free to ask if anything is unclear. I am sorry,but if the root is cracked below the bone level,there is nothing that can be done to put the root back together.Normally these teeth need to be extracted.Placing an implant is optional and depending on which tooth it is,it does not necessarily need to be replaced.A bridge can also be used to replace a tooth.In some instances where the tooth has two or more roots and one is cracked,we can do a procedure called a hemisection where we remove the cracked root and keep the tooth with the remaining roots intact.