Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-50 years of practice, Endodontics Assoc. Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

I just had a partial root canal done to ease a sensitive

Customer Question

I just had a partial root canal done to ease a sensitive tooth, will complete the process in a week after I return from vacation. Four days after the root canal I now have and infection at the sight of the tooth. I was told this is not uncommon is that so as I have never had this problem with other root canals?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 2 years ago.
I would like to get a positive rating from you so if you are not completely satisfied with my answers please let me know. Thanks!
Hi, The infection was actually present when the root canal was started and since it has not been completed you have what we call an exacerbation and that may result in both pain and swelling.
Using warm salt water rinses is essential: you can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. Please do NOT put any heat on the outside of your face and elevate your head when sleeping.
Hopefully you have also been given antibiotics to use if it does become problematic which it obviously has.
Normally if you get an adverse reaction after a root canal procedure the worst days are 4-5 following the procedure and then things normally begin to calm down. If yours does not then you do need to take an antibiotic to help you until you are able to return to your dentist.
Does all you'd make sons to you?
Hi, sorry about the typos!
It should have been "does all this make sense to you?"
If you need more information please let me know.
Thanks.

Hi, just following up on your situation.

Please let me know how you are doing.

Thanks.