Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

Been to dentist tonight and he said I have an abscess on the

Customer Question

Hi been to dentist tonight and he said I have an abscess on the upper right tooth at the back, I have been kept up with the pain for the past three nights but the tooth is rotten and partly broken off, I am very scared to have this extracted which is what's recommended. I have blood pressure problems I take labetalol for but my doctor thinks it may be white coat effects but it does go through the roof when I'm scared so the internet says they won't extract the tooth if it's high which it will be because I'm nervous( I will only let my own doc take my blood pressure) I suffer terrible health anxiety and panic disorder but I can't leave the tooth as it is because of the worry it may spread to my brain. What should I do
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 years ago.
Welcome .I will do my best to answer your question.I am not a great typist,be patient and feel free to ask if anything is unclear.Most oral surgeons are trained to sedate patients for extractions.By doing this ,it will eliminate your anxiety and the tooth should be able to be extracted without any complications.Your blood pressure should be stabilized by your Labetalol but if it is not,your Medical doctor should adjust the dose so that it is stable.In the meantime,you should be placed on an antibiotic to stop any infection from spreading into your face.It is extremely rare that infections from teeth, spread to your brain.To help with the anxiety,they can prescribe a sedative for an hour or two before that you come in for the extraction so that your anxiety will be minimized and your blood pressure should be stable.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 years ago.
Is there any other information that I can give you?