Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist - DDS
Experience:  Dentist and Anesthesiologist for 37 years.Anesthesiology Fellow-Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.Evaluator for Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners.
65223180

I currently have an abscessing tooth (tooth pain, ear

Customer Question

I currently have an abscessing tooth (tooth pain, ear ringing, headache). I have a flight I have to take tomorrow morning. Last night when my dentist office examined me, they warned about the dangers of flying with an abscessed tooth. They gave me antibiotics and tried all this morning to find an office to either do a root canal or remove the tooth. They couldn't find anyone to help me until September. They say I "should" be okay flying as long I'm taking the antibiotic but they can't assure me of that; my symptoms still haven't gone away (It's still under 24 hours since they gave me the prescription). I cannot miss this flight but I'm terrified to fly since they first told me an abscess tooth could explode on a plane. Is it safe to fly with the abscessed tooth? I will be on the antibiotic about 30 hours by the time of my flight. I'm also a heart patient and diabetic.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 years ago.
Welcome .I will do my best to answer your question.I am not a great typist,be patient and feel free to ask if anything is unclear.Which antibiotic are you currently taking and what dose?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am taking Penicillin VK 500mg. The first does I took two tablets, then I take one every 6 hours. Because I didn't receive the prescription until 9:00 pm last night, the second dose was not until 6:00 am this morning. I took another at noon today.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 years ago.
You are on the correct dose of penicillin.It will take about 48 hours before it really starts working but you are on the right track.Your tooth will not explode on the plane.It is important that you have a full prescription to last a full week.If your dentist knew you were going to fly or even that you were in pain,is there a reason he did not open this tooth up to drain?.This procedure takes about 10 minutes and would allow any pus that is accumulating in the tissue ,to drain from the tooth.Staying on the antibiotic will keep the infection from spreading and you should be fine on the plane.You may want to take some ibuprofen 600 mg every 6 hours just to help keep the inflamation down.It will also help with the the pain.
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 years ago.
Is there anything else that i can help you with?
Expert:  Dr. Katz replied 2 years ago.
If you need more information please ask.If not can you please supply a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site? Thanks