Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I am currently traveling abroad without access to a doctor

Customer Question
and will be away for...
I am currently traveling abroad without access to a doctor and will be away for a few months. Before I left the U.S., I had a broken tooth checked and my dentist scheduled it for extraction for when I got back in Sept. but said it should be ok in the meantime. Two weeks ago, I noticed that my cheek around that tooth was stiff and swollen (upper left side) so I went to a dentist (in Spain) to have it checked. He took an x-ray and said it was an active infection and prescribed one week of antibiotics. At the end of the week, he extracted the tooth (that was now one week ago) and I had two more doses of the antibiotic left to take. During the extraction, he said that the infection had damaged much of my jaw bone, and then when I get back to the U.S., I should have a bone graft done to repair the jaw bone before starting an implant process. The antibiotics stopped six days ago and in the last 3-4 days, I have had an increasing headache and now some slight dizziness. I do not usually get headaches and have been trying to ignore it, but wonder if the infection could still be spreading? The area around my sinuses feels quite sensitive, the headache has felt like pressure across the top, especially, and less so at my neck. I have ibuprofen from the extraction. Should I just take that and rest, or does this need more urgent medical attention?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/11/2015
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Welcome .I will do my best to answer your question.I am not a great typist,be patient and feel free to ask if anything is unclear.The source of the infection in your mouth was removed with the extraction of the tooth.Depending on the surgery and the position of the tooth adjacent to the sinus,the extraction could have perforated the sinus causing you to have a sinus infection.These things happen from time to time and usually correct themselves.The dentist is most likely exaggerating about destroying a lot of your jaw bone.There is no rush to have any bone augmentation done.The bone that was lost is not part of your maxilla but only a part of the bone that surrounds the tooth.If you have a sinus infection ,it may cause stuffiness but headaches and dizziness are usually not present.To be safe,I would get on a ten day course of amoxicillin 500 mg every 8 hours.This will wipe out any infection in the sinus and at least make sure that it is protected.The headaches and dizziness could be coming from anything from a flu to an middle ear infection which may both be viral and will run its course.Does any of this make sense?
Please let me know if you need more information.
If you need more information,please ask.If not, can you please leave a rating so that we can maintain good quality control? Thanks
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)