Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have a rear molar that has been root canaled twice. About

Customer Question
a month and half ago...
I have a rear molar that has been root canaled twice. About a month and half ago, I developed a gumboil in the region. Went to my dentist, who gave me a script for Peridex, and had me come back in month for scaling, deep clean and antibiotic treatment at the site. Dentist cannot say if tooth is involved. Antibiotic did little to bring the swelling down, was referred to an periodontist, who can't see me for a consult until 8/17. At which point I will have been dealin with this for nearly three months with no definitive diagnosis. I was put on a Z-pack for bronchitis, which I just finished. Wondering if that will keep things at bay until the 17th. I'm also supposed to leave to go out of town for a week on Wednesday. Guess I'm just afraid of the damage that might be going on in my jaw. Nothing hurts, as the tooth has been root canaled before.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
Lower left rear molar, btw.
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/3/2015
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Welcome .I will do my best to answer your question.I am not a great typist,be patient and feel free to ask if anything is unclear.Do you have an xray available of this tooth?Have you been told that you have periodontal disease?Do you have a picture that you can upload of this area?
I do not have an xray available. I have never been told I have peridontal disease. You know, a couple crowded teeth (this isn't one of them) that need some extra attention with floss. But generally my dentist is very happy with the state of my gums. Photo of the area attached.
The area that you have photograph does not appear like there is anything serious going on.If the area that you are referring to is just forward of the crowned tooth,it appears to be more of a gum related problem.Without an xray of this area,I cannot give you a definitive diagnosis.The area does not look like a fistula from the picture.A fistula is a pathway for a draining abscess.There are thousands of dentists around that can get you in to have this area xrayed promptly if you are concerned.It does not look serious,but it would be a good idea to have a small xray taken of this area just so we can confirm if there is anything about the tooth that is causing this problem.I would be glad to look at the xray as soon as you get it.
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)