Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-50 years of practice, Endodontics Assoc. Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
76222449

I just recently went to the dentist on 7/31/2015. I noticed

Customer Question

I just recently went to the dentist on 7/31/2015. I noticed the other day two small little white dots/ that are a little raised on the left corner of my mouth- more say just above my mouth. They do not hurt at all, but I have never seen these before. It is really only noticeable when I smile big- I actually only saw these because I was looking very close into the mirror. Also, the left corner of my mouth it seems to be a little bit tender when I touch it- as if I had been punched there. I want to say it is more of a little lump with, but when I press it - it is just a little bit tender. I have taken pictures and I want to see if I can get some advice. Is this something I need to worry about? I have no history of gum issues or medical issues. I get my teeth cleaned every six months and have never had any cavities. The dentist did not say anything about these. I'm kind of spooked- I have read things about oral/mouth cancer? Any advice/help would be great!
Category: Dental
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have attached two photos- it is the best I can do. No pain etc and I literally just noticed these a day or so ago. For some reason after I went to the dentist.
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 2 years ago.
I would like to get a positive rating from you so if you are not completely satisfied with my answers please let me know. Thanks!
Hi Jeremy,
Thanks for the excellent photos!
You do not have oral cancer at the angle of your mouth. So no need for you to worry about that.
What you have is caused by stress and trauma from the dental procedure you just had. It does take a day or two for it to manifest itself and it does so with redness and canker type (apthous ulcer) lesions that can be painful and will disappear on their own in 10-14 days. It could also be virus (herpes simplex) related which comes about when you are stressed and traumatized and it too will resolve on its own within 10-14 days.
No treatment or dental visit is needed.
Their are ointments you can use if they are uncomfortable and they are available over the counter at your drugstore. But most patients only use them when the lesions are oral (internal). You can protect the area if you wish with just some vaseline and that will help keep the area from further trauma.
Yours occurred from stretching and pulling at the angle of your jaw and your tissues are just responding to this but you will be just fine in a few days.
Does this make sense to you?
Hi Jeremy,
Just following up on the irritated area at the corner of your mouth.
How are you doing!
Thanks.