Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have a black colored lump at the back of my mouth, just in

Customer Question
front of my uvula. It...
I have a black colored lump at the back of my mouth, just in front of my uvula. It feels like I have food stuck and causes minor discomfort when I swallow and is giving me a minor sore throat.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
7/26/2015
Dentist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Hello from JustAnswer.
Could you attach a picture of the black spot?
Could you try gargling with warm water to see if it will dislodge?
I don't think it will dislodge. It's under the tissue.
You are correct that it is in the tissue, but it is not food. The appearance is of a small collection of blood in the superficial tissue. It is possible that there may have been a food particle that rubbed or stabbed the area as it was being swallowed, but this is not a retained piece of food.
Essentially, this is similar to a bruise, but instead of the blood being diffuse in the tissue, it is collected into a smaller space in the superficial layers of the tissue.
This problem will typically heal even if no interventions are done. However, it may help to hold ice against the area a few times per day, however, the location may make it difficult. Some people can hold crushed ice against the back of the roof of the mouth with their tongue, but some people will either automatically swallow or gag if the ice is held in this position. If ice cannot be held against the location, then the next option would be eating cold foods that will cool and coat the area as it is being swallowed, such as ice cream or frozen popsicles, including homemade version made solely of fruit juice if a healthier alternative is desired.
Ice is most important for the first 48-72 hours. After that point, heat also can be soothing. However, the mouth tends to heal relatively quickly, so this will usually only be a brief problem.
It is important to note that some people are tempted to press on these to express the collected blood, but that actually may prolong the healing process. It also would be difficult to do in this location, but even if you have learned to suppress the gag reflex, it would be better to not do this.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor