Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

My 3 year old daughter just rolled off the couch onto her

Customer Question
mouth. Her front tooth is...
My 3 year old daughter just rolled off the couch onto her mouth. Her front tooth is chipped and both front teeth seem to be a little wiggly. There was a little blood but that seems to have gone away but she says that it hurts. Should I worry?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
7/21/2015
Dentist: Julian Chen, Dentist replied 2 years ago
Julian Chen
Julian Chen, Dentist

Hello there,

I'm sorry to hear that your daughter injured her mouth. If the bleeding has already stopped, then chances are really good that she didn't crack her roots underneath the gum line. If your daughter will let you, lift up the lip (upper or lower depending on which arch) and look to see if there is any swelling around the gum line near the chipped teeth. Gently palpate/feel the gums. To your fingertips, the gums should be relatively firm (not soft and squishy) and your daughter shouldn't complain of much/if any pain/discomfort when you press upon the gums lightly.

If she says it's extremely painful when you palpate against the gums, then you need to take her to see a dentist (or pediatric dentist) ASAP. Otherwise, if there is really no pain/discomfort when palpating the gums, then chances are real good that after 3-5 days (generally sooner), she'll be 100% back to her original, adorable self.

The next thing to assess is how severe the "chip/fracture" is. If just a tiny edge/corner is missing, then this would likely just be a cosmetic issue. If it bothers you, it can be bonded by a dentist. However, if a substantial chunk of the tooth is chipped/missing, then the pain might actually be from the chip itself. Could be sensitivity, could be exposed nerve. So if the missing piece is pretty notable, that would also warrant a trip to the dentist.

If visually, it doesn't look like any of her teeth are knocked out of alignment or intruded(pushed inward), then all should be well within a few days.

If you have additional questions/concerns, let me know and I will do my best to answer/address them.

Regards,

Julian W. Chen, DDS

Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine