Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

TMJ problem: My 18-year old daughter seems to have bad TMJ

Customer Question
problem. Her jaw keeps getting...
TMJ problem: My 18-year old daughter seems to have bad TMJ problem. Her jaw keeps getting locked at night. It all started back in 2009 when she got rubber bands from her orthodontist to fix overbite issue. I would lock every night but not during the day.
Then, after her braces were taken off, the problem slowly got better during the course of several years. A few months ago, her jaw began locking again, her orthodontist got her lower retainer and told her to wear both upper and lower retainers at night. The
retainers were ortho kind, not the kind to treat TMJ. The lower retainer made jaw locking problem worse. Now her jaw often makes soft locking noises during meals, every night, it locks and her mouth cannot open in the morning and she has to pop it again and
again. Sometimes, the locking is awful and she is worrisome, scared of the waking up in the morning with mouth unable to open. If you specializes in TMJ issues, please kindly advice us on what to do and how to treat or manage this problem and please suggest
what specialist we should go see locally. If you don't specialize in this area, please do not respond to this question. Thank you very much! -- Wendy
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
7/17/2015
Dentist: Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD replied 2 years ago
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.
Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
I am sorry to hear of your daughters continued problem.
This is not something that you are going to be able to deal with at home.
I suggest you gather up your daughters dental records and visit with a maxillofacial surgeon. If there is not one in your area then it might be helpful to get a second opinion from a general Dentist first.
Does this make sense to you?
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS
no other medical problems, not taking any medicine.

Thank you for that extra information.

If you have a chance let me know what the new DDS has to say.

Have a good weekend.

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS

We actually did see an oral and maxillofacial surgeon. He didn't offer much help other than telling us it's untreatable and sometimes stress can cause it. Really, nothing concrete, we have to manage it, but don't know how to manage it other than eat soft food. Do you have some concrete advice? Anything she can do to help manage the problem other than popping it open every morning? Is TMJ absolutely untreatable and whoever has it have to live with it?
It sounds like you have gathered all the information available from the best experts out there....
If the TMJ is that bad the surgery is an option....but, I'd not rush into cutting.
I wish your daughter the very best.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD