Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I am having ongoing issues with a swollen tongue with

Customer Question
Hi I am having ongoing...
Hi I am having ongoing issues with a swollen tongue with burning sensation and lips as well same problem. I'm concerned this is a sign of a serious health issue?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/14/2015
Dentist: Ken, Postgraduate doctor replied 2 years ago
Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor

I am Dr Ken and I will be helping you today.

Were any investigations done to see for the cause?

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Sorry to finish its happening more than not now. After gallbladder surgery I had an enlarged liver and I'm concerned it's related.
Somehow the start of my story got deleted. Basically this first started occasionally several years ago during a pregnancy I later terminated. I thought it might be hormonal. I admittedly ignored it until this year - I had a baby 6 months ago and a few weeks later had my gallbladder removed due to gallstones.

I am sorry for the delay, I was in an emergency.

Swollen tongue and lips can be due to varied causes. It indicates inflammation. The cause can be - Vitamin B deficiency/ infection at the oral cavity, tongue, nasal cavity or sinuses/ reflux disease.

Next step - A physical evaluation along with few investigations like blood tests/ upper GI scopy should give us more answers.

I would not link it to liver abnormality or an hormonal issue as of my first thought. We need to rule out common causes first.

Till than - Have balanced diet, adequate fluid/ avoid alcohol, smoking/ stay away from stress or anxiety {Yoga, meditation help}, reduce excess weight if any.

Wish you well.

Best

Ken
Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor