Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

I had tooth extractions for 6 teeth on June 24 and now have

Customer Question

I had tooth extractions for 6 teeth on June 24 and now have full upper dentures. Its been hell for the past 2 weeks . I could not eat and speak well. Until now my right cheek is still puffy. I switched to another dentist . I went to my first dentist 3
times for adjustments and it became worse and worse. I was having pain in my right ear and could not hear very well . I have pain on my eye socket, my cheeks and my cheek is swollen. My gums are inflammed and there are thrushes and wounds all over my mouth.
My second dentist adjusted the denture since it was rubbing my gums . I thought it was going to relieve the pain and the ear ache. The pain on my cheek because of the wounds are getting better but the earache is still getting worse and I feel that I am losing
my hearing. I still feel pain when opening my mouth and the jaw pain is getting worse. HELP!!!
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

If you got 6 teeth extracted on 24th June, how was a denture made so soon? The usual wait time for the extraction sockets to heal before an impression can be made in 6 weeks, which sometimes goes to 8 weeks !

That itself is the first error. The denture is causing pressure on the extraction wounds causing the pain and discomfort. Your body i barely started to recover from the trauma of having 6 teeth extracted on a single day (this is also not advisable), and it has now also got to deal with a fairly large foreign object in the mouth as well.

Let me say this very clearly, STOP using this denture. For at least 6 weeks untill your mouth completely heals. There is no way things will get better if you keep using it now.

Please see another dentist ASAP. Preferably an Oral Surgeon first, to evaluate the extraction sockets. You will need prescription antibiotics and painkillers.

For now, switch between taking 400 milligrams of ibuprofen (e.g., 2 tablets of Advil), and 1000 milligrams of acetaminophen (e.g., 2 tablets of extra-strength Tylenol) every 3 hours. Be careful not to use these medications if you have had previous adverse reactions to either, or if you have had gastritis or peptic ulcer disease in the past, or if you have liver disease.

Your ear pain, though, could be coincidental . Please see an Ear specialist after you do the things i have listed above.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.

Good Luck !

Regards,
Dr. Behere