Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Well the dentist say I have 2 unerupted wisdom teeth and 1

Customer Question
wisdom erupted tooth and 1...
well the dentist say I have 2 unerupted wisdom teeth and 1 wisdom erupted tooth and 1 partially erupted wisdom tooth. Should I get them removed because it causing me pain the back of my mouth off and on. plus it causing me headaches and sinus problems
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
7/10/2015
Dentist: Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist replied 2 years ago
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine

There is no single strategy that fits all situations-- whether or not a particular wisdom tooth should or should not be taken out is very much dependent on circumstances. You should also know that there are differing opinions as regards ***** ***** appropriate management, and what one doctor says may not necessarily be the same as another's guidance.

In your case, the fact that there are symptoms would be an argument that would favor extraction, because episodic "pericoronitis" (the inflammatory state that causes pain around a partially erupted wisdom tooth) is at least an inconvenience, and could potentially result in acute infection and a threat to health.

On the other hand, the potential benefits of extraction need to be weighed against the potential risks. For example, a deeply embedded upper wisdom tooth might pose risk of perforation of the sinus, with significant efforts required to repair the damage. In the case of a deeply situated lower wisdom tooth, the risk is potential damage to the neurosensory bundle that provides sensation to the lower lip. So, if the risk of these adverse outcomes is deemed to be greater than the risk of doing nothing, most oral surgeons will decline to treat in these situations. Other considerations enter into the picture as well: constitutional health status, the concomitant administration of certain medications, and even a patient's budgetary constraints must enter into the picture.

Often times, a wisdom tooth is judged to require removal even if it does not in itself pose an immediate threat. For example, if a lower wisdom tooth is removed, the opposing upper tooth is often also removed, because it will tend to drop down and bite against the space left by the absent lower tooth. (The reverse is not as often the case, because even after the removal of an upper wisdom tooth, the lower wisdom tooth may be held in place by the back edge of the upper second molar tooth.)

Although I cannot weigh all the factors that enter into the decision-making process in your case, I would be happy to evaluate your x-rays to determine whether there are any conspicuous reasons to extract or not to extract your wisdom teeth. You can upload a digital scan of your x-rays (panoramic x-ray preferable) using the "paper clip" icon on the text entry form tool bar.

Hope this helps...

Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist