How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask drbigreddog Your Own Question
drbigreddog, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 141
Experience:  I continue to practice general (family) dentistry after 20 years and continue to love this great profession.
Type Your Dental Question Here...
drbigreddog is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Iv got a tooth infection ,what can I take for pain

Customer Question

Iv got a tooth infection ,what can I take for pain
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  drbigreddog replied 2 years ago.

You are on some pretty heavy duty pain relievers already. For most dental infections, these are more than sufficient to buy you a bit of time so you can get definitive dental treatment done.

Your dental infection must be long standing. I suspect you've had a toothache for quite some time and were hoping it would go away by itself eventually. You really need to see a dentist asap!

I cannot morally recommend any other pain medication for you. Of the two that you are taking, the nurofen plus is generally better for tooth pain due to the antiinflammatory properties of the nurofen. Since you have an infection, you should temporarily be on some strong antibiotics. But the most important thing you can do is to see your dentist as soon as humanly possible.

Good luck!