Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

My wife, Sue, is 52 years old. About 4 months ago she had a…

Customer Question
Hi There, My wife, Sue, is...
Hi There,
My wife, Sue, is 52 years old. About 4 months ago she had a root canal on the first molar on the lower jaw, right-hand side (as you look at her). She now has a new tooth growing below the dead tooth! I'm not making this up.
Sue's always been aware that she had less teeth on that side, and our daughter, aged 20, is missing three adult teeth according to her x-rays.
I'm fascinated.
My questions are;
a) What is happening here?
b) Sue and I are both of the mind to let nature take it's course. What is your opinion?
c) What lies ahead for our daughter?
Thank you for your time.
Chris
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/3/2015
Dentist: Dr. Behere, Dentist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

a) What is happening here?

- Your wife has : "Supernumerary teeth". These are extra teeth over and above the 32 teeth that either erupt or stay within the jaw bone . It is an extremely common condition and potentially harmless. This is a hereditary condition, which is also associated with "True Partial Anodontia" , where some adult teeth simply do not develop. However, this has to be differentiated from False Partial Anodontia, where some adult teeth have simply failed to erupt. A simple panoramic X rays can differentiate the two. Your daughter has either of these two.

b)Sue and I are both of the mind to let nature take it's course. What is your opinion?

- For your wife: if the tooth that has been found under the root canaled tooth is not going to exert pressure on the root canaled tooth, then it can be left alone. However, if it starts to push the root canaled toth, then the supernumerary tooth may have to be removed.

c) What lies ahead for our daughter?

- First of all, a panoramic X ray is required to make the correct Anodontia diagnosis. If it is true anodontia, she will need prosthetic teeth (bridges, implants, flippers). if it is false anodontia, you will need an orthodontic and oral Surgeon consultation, to see if the teeth can be made to erupt.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.

Good Luck !

Regards,
Dr. Behere

Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist