Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

My soft palate and gums are tender and painful.Hot beverages…

Customer Question
my soft palate and gums...
my soft palate and gums are tender and painful.Hot beverages and food intake is an uncomfortable experience.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/30/2015
Dentist: Dr. Behere, Dentist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist

To help me make a better diagnosis, can you upload a photo of that area here?

You can refer to these step-by-step instructions to upload your photo: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

Alternatively, you can just use an external photo sharing site like www.imgur.com and copy-paste the URL of the image here.

Regards,
Dr. Behere

I do not have any sores or lessions. Just feels smooth allover my mouth
Toothbrush bristles hurt my gum while brushing

There are a lot of possible causes for soreness of the palate and gums. Without a proper history and physical, I can point out the most likely ones:

- a fungal infection
- a nutritional deficiency
-a reaction to spicy foodstuff or vinegar
- gingivitis
- Burning Mouth Syndrome due to stress and other psychosomatic factors
- oral mucosal conditions like Erosive Lichen Planus

For now, start taking multivitamins, particularly folic acid supplements. Do not gargle with Listerine or any such mouthwash.

If the soreness persists for more than 2-3 weeks, see a dentist.

There is no need to panic. This is nothing dangerous.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.

Good Luck !

Regards,
Dr. Behere