Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Behere, I have swelling under my right molar tooth and down…

Customer Question
Hello Dr. Behere, I have swelling...
Hello Dr. Behere,
I have swelling under my right molar tooth and down towards the jaw line. It has been this way for a few days now. It seems like it has gotten a little better but the swelling is still there.
I took a a 250 ml chephlixin antibiotic thinking this will help, but after reading all the side effects that I could have, I do not think I will proceed taking them. My question is, will the swelling go away by itself?
Any suggestions will greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Cindy
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/28/2015
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 3 years ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Welcome .I will do my best to answer your question.I am not a great typist,be patient and feel free to ask if anything is unclear.I do not think Dr. Behere is online at the present time but in an effort to keep you from waiting,I can give you some information.Infected teeth cannot be cured by an antibiotic,the antibiotic will just keep the infection from spreading temporarily.Cephalexin is not the drug of choice for tooth infections and the dose that you are on is too low.The drug of choice is Penicillin vk 500 mg every six hours.Amoxicillin 500 mg every 8 hours or clinamycin 300 mg every 6 hours also works well.If you have a tooth infection,which it sounds like you do,the only options are root canal therapy or extraction.The swelling will persist or come back after the antibiotics are stopped.I am sorry ,I know that this is not the answer that you want to hear but it is true.The tooth cannot be penetrated by antibiotics because the blood supply to it no longer exists so the tooth remains as the source of the infection until it is removed or the pulp or necrotic parts of the tooth are removed.
I am going to sign off for the night but I will check back in the morning to see if you have any further questions.