Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I've had 3 weeks of bad wisdom tooth pain. Its decayed. I've

Customer Question

I've had 3 weeks of bad wisdom tooth pain. Its decayed. I've been to my doctor and to the e.r twice and the antibiotics are helping a little but the pain is still there. I need some relief
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 2 years ago.
Hello-- I'm Mark Bornfeld, DDS. Welcome, and thank you for putting your trust in me!
Why are you unable to arrange to see a dentist?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No one in my area takes my insurance. Our local health department does but there's a 2 month waiting list. I'm so miserable. My family doctor put me on amox-clav 875mg on Thursday and have me a shot of tordol and I was fine for about 6 hours. Since then I've been in pain. I can't even be a good mom or wife because I'm standing over the sink gargling salt water or Listerine all day and night
Your situation can only be managed with prompt professional intervention-- this cannot be medicated away with analgesics and antibiotics, as you have already discovered.
You will need to go outside your insurance network to seek the required service, which will almost certainly involve the extraction of the offending tooth, especially if it is a wisdom tooth. Nothing short of that act will bring you relief, and further delay will expose you to significant morbidity and risk to your health, and will undoubtedly prove to be more costly in the monetary sense as well.
The cost for such a service should not be prohibitive, and your insurance should be able to offset some of your out-of-pocket expense if it allows for out of network benefits. Some dentists also provide for financing, or participate in third-party financing entities like CareCredit.
There are other good sources for reduced-fee dental service, and you can find links to these sources on the web page managed by the National Institutes of Health.
Hope this helps...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there anything at all I can do for relief until I see a dentist?
If tramadol, acetaminophen, or ibuprofen with antibiotics did not provide relief, it is unlikely that any action you take on your own will do any better. Your best bet is to prevail on a dentist to see you tomorrow, on an emergency basis. Given the circumstances, you might fare better by seeing an oral surgeon, whose practice is better suited to urgent care of emergencies. You can find contact information for an oral surgeon near you by consulting the online directory of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons.
Good luck!