Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have an infection in my mouth above a permanent Bridge…

Customer Question
I have an infection in...
I have an infection in my mouth above a permanent
Bridge which was put in last fall. I went in for a routine cleaning 2weeks ago & because there was some sensitivity. Around the teeth of the bridge she took numerous X-rays so the dentist could look at them. Several days later I got a phone call from the office informing me the doctor would like to have me stop in when I was in town. Because I began a wk series of IV antibiotic tx for a UTI I called the office &ade an appt w dentist. At this time he told me I needed more dental work to treat the infection. Had the office staff give me an estimate as at this time he said it should b taken care of My appt is in 2 days. I called back & asked if I should b on an antibiotic. He ordered Zithromax. Until I could get into see him. I see him Tues. (today is Sun). Know there is something going on as there is still something going on as the area is sensitive to touch above the bridge. Is it safe for him to drill into that area when there is an infection still going on
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
6/21/2015
Dentist: Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist replied 2 years ago
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine
Hello-- I'm Mark Bornfeld, DDS. Welcome, and thank you for putting your trust in me!
Presuming your dentist intends to drill into the tooth for the purpose of initiating a root canal treatment, it is precisely the safest thing to do-- the sooner, the better. It is no longer considered appropriate to wait for an infection to resolve prior to dental intervention-- largely because dental infections do NOT resolve on their own, or even with the benefit of antibiotic. The nature of dental infection makes antibiotic therapy insufficient in itself to eliminate it; it is the dental intervention that cures infection.
If there is any point of caution, it would be to verify that your dentist is qualified to perform root canal therapy, especially because the presence of the fixed bridge obscures the natural surface landmarks that would otherwise guide the dentist if he was treating a tooth that previously was not covered by a crown. If you have any doubts as to your dentists qualifications, you might wish to seek out an endodontist for this service.
Hope this helps...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist