drbigreddog
drbigreddog, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Experience:  I continue to practice general (family) dentistry after 20 years and continue to love this great profession.
76090607

I have a couple of what I can see bumps on the back of my

Customer Question

I have a couple of what I can see bumps on the back of my tongue, and a sore throat with at time difficulty in swallowing.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 2 years ago.

To help me make a better diagnosis, can you upload a photo of that area here?

You can refer to these step-by-step instructions to upload your photo: http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

Alternatively, you can just use an external photo sharing site like www.imgur.com and copy-paste the URL of the image here.

Regards,
Dr. Behere
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's too far back on my tongue. I'll just find a doctor.

No problem.

Regards,

Dr. Behere
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 2 years ago.
Ma'am,

Most of us seldom look way back in the back of the mouth or tongue area, of course, but when we do, we ALL have some of the bumps on the top and back of our tongues. The nodules or bumps on the back of the tongue are called "papillae". They assist with our taste capabilities primarily. So, the bumps you are noticing are "very likely" NORMAL.

The nystatin rinse? I'm presuming that either your Dr. and/or you saw some white colored areas in your mouth (candidias), and thought the nystatin rinse to be good to use. And, that may well be the case.

The part that, seems most annoying to you, and may not presently be addressed properly to get you feeling your typical self - is the sore throat & difficulty swallowing. If this is the main problem... I'd suggest to call the Doctor's office you most recently visited, and ask what type of antibiotic they would recommend, if any. I realize sometimes antibiotics are often over prescribed. However, likewise, that may well hold the key to your expeditiously getting rid of your sore throat & difficult swallowing.

So; I would suggest getting your local Dr's. opinion & suggestion about a possible antibiotic. I hope this helps you!

Dr. Rampton (-:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I understand what you are saying. But I have looked in others mouths and nobody else has the same bumps and they are not small bumps like I have. But thanks for responding I appreciate the effort. Have a great day!

You are welcome.

Here is something on wikipedia. Kind of a boring read, but tells how there are numerous shapes & sizes of papillae: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taste_bud

All the best to you!
Expert:  drbigreddog replied 2 years ago.
I want your positive rating! If I fail to answer your questions to your liking, ask me for more details or clarification before rating. Thanks!
I read the other posts by Dr. Behere and Dr. Rampton. I would like to add that if you look in the back of your tongue and you see the bumps are symmetrical from left to right side, then it is normal. Dental abnormalities almost never happen symmetrically.
Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well let me say you guys are batting a zero, but I guess that's my fault. They are only on the right side of my tongue and one is a lot larger that the rest. But again thanks and I will find a doctor.