Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Cliff

Customer Question
Hey Dr. Cliff...
Hey Dr. Cliff
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dental
6/12/2015
Dentist: Dr. Behere, Dentist replied 3 years ago
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.
Dr. Cliff appears to be offline. I can answer your question if that's OK with you.
Please write back with as many details as possible.
Regards, *****
Hey Dr. Cliff,
To give some background, I first had a cold sore about 6 years ago after drinking off of a co-workers cup. They have re-occurred on average once a year since the. And though incredibly uncomfortable and unsightly, they have followed a regular pattern and I have had no additional complications. This all changed in February. I have smoked weed recreationally and have never had any ill effects. In February, I smoked something that made me somewhat hallucinate. I also noticed red streaks across my chest and inner thighs. I have very sensitive skin so this was very noticeable. A few days later, a fever blister broke out in a place it had never occurred before. In the past, I typically always broke out under my lip on the left side. This blister was now actually on my lip. It was so unexpected that I freaked out and constantly put Abreva on over the course of a couple of weeks. Around this time, my mouth is constantly burning. It feels like its on fire. I believe that this is another blister and continue to put Abreva on. I reach out to my doctor and she tells me the burning sounds like an allergic reaction not another fever blister. I am now alternating between 2-5 Benadryls a day to try to control the burning. I am also using a cream which helps tremendously but I have to apply it all day. This is all in the course of 2 months and I have literally not slept because I am so scared. I don't know what's going on. My top lip is also breaking out in these small bumps. I went to see an allergist who said the burning sounds like hives and she prescribes me Claritin. She also tells me that drinking could activate the hives. I take 2 a day and the burning sensation has significantly calmed down. At that point, I had not slept in 2 months. I took a week off work and went out of town. I did drink beer but no other alcohol. Two days after I get back I wake up to another fever blister on Another part of my lip. It was always below the lip in the past. once again freak out and reach out to my doctor. She prescribes me 800 my Acyclovir to take once a day for three months. This I do with a deep sigh of relief and that is when abnormal symptoms start showing up. I read online that Lysine is a great natural treatment for cold sores so I take 1000mg per day in Addition to the Acyclovir. When I started the Acyclovir, I noticed I often had a shortness of breath as if my lungs had a hard time pulling in air. Also on the outside ridge of my lower lip, tiny bumps are forming in a row. These ridges are very itchy and they burn similar to my previous hives. The inside lining of my mouth is also very irritated. The membrane seemed to be very sensitive and swollen. And then one day, and then out of the blue, I took 2 Acyclovirs within 24hrs and I noticed the inside of my right cheek almost immediately got bumpy. I looked in the mirror and there was a couple of blood blisters plus the bumpy patches. The blisters are red and the size of a pimple. They are completely painless and they went away in a couple of days. But they re-occur. And sometimes I see small white raised skin postures and then they go away often the same day. They also re-occur. I sent my doc pics of it and asked what it was. She said it was just the cold sores but it didn't seem like a cd sore to me. Typically my coldes sores are painful and don't go away in a day. They always turn into pus filled blisters and these just seemed like raised irritated skin. I am just not sure what is going on. I stopped taking the Acyclovir several weeks ago and the Lysine in the past week. My lymph node under my right ear has been swollen for weeks. And I have generally speaking not felt my best. I feel as if I have been battling a cold/flu for weeks and am barely keeping it at bay. I sincerely ***** ***** help. I have a government all sponsored doctor who has not been responsive to helping me figure out what is goig on. She just prescribes me meds and doesn't want to be bothered so I have been trying to self diagnose. I have gotten allergy tests done and I am allergic to Timothy grass and mold. I have very sensitive skin and eczema. I believe this is an allergy issue but I'm not sure. What are your thoughts?