How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Root Canal Doctor Your Own Question
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 1613
Experience:  Endodontist (DDS,MS)-50 years of practice, Endodontics Assoc. Professor at Loyola University School of Dentistry, Air Force Veteran
Type Your Dental Question Here...
Root Canal Doctor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have pain on the lower right cheek area near the gums it

Customer Question

I have pain on the lower right cheek area near the gums it is a fleshy lump and my face is swollen and the pain is increasing. I am on antibiotics and the pain is not going away
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Root Canal Doctor replied 2 years ago.
I would like to get a positive rating from you so if you are not completely satisfied with my answers please let me know. Thanks!
Hi, I will try to help you.
First it takes a least 24-48 hours for an antibiotic to kick in and do its job.
What reason were you given for having to take the antibiotics?
When you have swelling in your mouth you should be doing warm salt water rinses: you can dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water as hot as can be safely tolerated, and rinse vigorously for about 2 minutes at least every 2-3 hours. Please do NOT put any heat on the outside of your face and elevate your head when sleeping.
Also for pain you alternate every 3-4 hours between 2 Advil (400mg) and 2 Extra Strength Tylenol (1000 mg). Please do not use this regimen if there is a history of peptic ulcer or liver disease.
If you have an abscess caused by a tooth then you would need to be seen by a dentist and either have the tooth treated with a root canal or extracted.
So please let me know what diagnosis you were given and what treatment plan was presented to you.

Related Dental Questions