Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I had a class V cavity on my 31st tooth. I think they said

Customer Question
I had a class V...

I had a class V cavity on my 31st tooth. I think they said it was a cleft? In any case, I had that drilled and filled in. By the second week of recovery, I started to notice sensitivity. If I ate on that side of the mouth, it would throb lightly. Now, I can barely touch it directly (lets say with a fingernail or when eating something sharp, like chips). Sometimes it hurts to floss. The pain is sharp, and stops me from chewing any more. I woke up several nights ago with the right side of my mouth throbbing. I went into the dentist and they detected no inflection or inflammation. They made me bite a cotton swab, but my cavity was on the exterior and they drilled downward, so pressure on the top of my tooth is not painful. Then he pressed with his finger along the gum line, but evenly applied pressure is not painful. When something scrapes the side of my tooth, my eyes water with pain. The dental assistant laughed at me because they had found nothing, but I am in pain.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
6/3/2015
Dentist: Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 years ago
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)

I would like to get a positive rating from you so if you are not completely satisfied with my answers please let me know. Thanks!

Hi, class V cavities are in close proximity to the pulp (nerve) in the tooth. So even a shallow cavity can have an effect on the nerve. When you drill from the top of the tooth down there is a lot of dentin (tooth structure) that separates the nerve from most cavities so the response after the preparation is much less or not at all.

Did your dentist pulp test your tooth to determine the health of the nerve?

Are you sensitive to hot or cold foods? Are your sensitive to biting or chewing?

Please let me know.

Thanks.

Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor