How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Peel Your Own Question
Dr. Peel
Dr. Peel, Dentist
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 981
Experience:  General dentist with 20+ years of experience.
Type Your Dental Question Here...
Dr. Peel is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have had the same dentist for30 years. A denture due to

Customer Question

I have had the same dentist for 30 years. A denture due to a knocked out tooth and a gap at the front traumatised my schoolyears. Several crowns and bridges later my gums started to recede. A tooth at the very back when removed through abscess caused bone loss making the next tooth loose. I was told nothing could be done. Now the tooth next to it is loose (next to incisor upper) and the dentist simply said she would remove them! Traumatised at the thought again of a denture she said if I payed privately she would bone graft and place an implant but I cant afford this. All I can have with the NHS is a denture.  My two teeth are getting more wobbly not helped by my grinding in my sleep. I am so worried because I could not stand a denture after all the taunting and teasing at school. I don't know what to do. I really don't want to lose these two teeth. She has not told me why the bone loss has occurred or referred for deep cleaning.  She has not suggested splinting the teeth.  Please advise.

Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I will try my best to provide you with the answer to your question.
Unfortunately, finances sometimes dictate optimal dental care these days
It is unfortunate but your dentist is right. Self paying, at a high rate, would help save the teeth that have lost bone structure. That is the only way. Splinting may help for some time but is not the answer for the long term.
I hope this helps. Please ask more if I can help further.
Expert:  Dr. Peel replied 2 years ago.
I was waiting for you to ask more and when you did not I thought I would just elaborate.

Without a picture or radiographs it is difficult for me to answer completely. You said your dentist did not refer you to get a deep clean or talk about splinting. To me, that suggests that she deems the teeth unable to be saved. If you wanted to send me pictures or radiographs I could confirm her diagnosis if you like. As for not discussing why the bone is lost, I don't know why. Dentists at the NSH can be rushed and low paid and will sometimes neglect these explanations as they are time consuming.
Put simply, the bone loss could have occurred due to your grinding , periodontal disease, poor hygiene or all of the above.
Getting implants is expensive and demands rigorous hygiene care so you don't lose them too.
You have a difficult decision to make. Saving for or using credit are options. You may even get the denture and then start to save for them . They can be placed later.
Best to get the problem teeth addressed as well as you can afford and plan for your implants later.
Let me know if you need more help or want to send pictures or x-rays.

Related Dental Questions