Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have constant mucous and excess saliva in my mouth and…

Customer Question
I have constant mucous and...
I have constant mucous and excess saliva in my mouth and throat. It is so thick I generally can't even swallow it. I do have Gerd but recent tests showed my PH is normal which I find hard to believe because I can often taste a sour/bile like taste in my mouth. I sometimes have a cough and my voice gets horse when it flairs up. The surgeon said I would not be helped by surgery.(Lynx) My ENT did sinus surgery 2 years ago and he insists my sinus are now fine. I'm so frustrated I don't know what to do. The mucous is non stop. When I lay down it pools in my throat and I will wheeze if I'm semi sleeping and can hear it.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/31/2015
Dentist: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 3 years ago
Anthony Bray, MD
Hello!
It sounds that you may have symptoms from a combination of factors...
For one what you describe in part sounds more what I would describe as thick mucus --- normally we always produce mucus but it is usually THIN in consistency and we do not notice it. To help restore NORMAL THIN CONSISTENCY of your mucus I recommend take MUCINEX 1 tablet twice a day and 6 to 8 right ounce servings of water per day AT LEAST...
Second it sounds that you have problem with HIGH REFLUX meaning contents of stomach not just to lower esophagus (typical GERD) but high enough to reach upper esophagus and even vocal cords (hoarse, cough, aggravated asthma) and back of throat ( bad taste)
Some benefit to take a medication to reduce acidity of stomach fluids but realize that these do not FIX THE BASIC PROBLEM!
Medium or Prilosec or Prevacid once a day are available over the counter and may help in some regards ***** ***** should be taken plus >>>>
REFLUX PRECAUTIONS 1) Elevate head of bed on blocks 4 to 6 inches ...this keeps torso at incline in any position during the night and that is when most reflux will occur
2) wait 1 and 1/2 hour after you eat BEFORE you lie down
3) AVOID GI IRRITANTS. --so avoid hot spicy or acidic foods ( onions tomato products such as pizza sauce, peppers, peppers, alcohol, anti-inflammatory medicines such as much aspirin or Advil or Aleve and avoid coffee and alcoholic drinks
These measures should help...
Your asthma may benefit from further preventive measures such as Singulair 10 mg once a day as an option...
I hope that this is helpful for you.
Let me know if you have further questions.I will be happy to get back with you! If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.Thank You and Best Regards,
Anthony Bray MD