Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

My 5 year old was diagnosed with fluorosis on his two front…

Customer Question
My 5 year old was...
My 5 year old was diagnosed with fluorosis on his two front teeth today. What are the chances that his remaining adult teeth will break through with the same condition? How can I reduce the risk? Thanks
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dental
5/29/2015
Dentist: Just Dental Truths!, Dentist replied 3 years ago
Just Dental Truths!
Hello! I'll do my best to answer your question/s...
If he is 5 years old, could be his primary front teeth...? I say that, as the permanent front two teeth generally come in around 6 or 7 years of age. So, the fluorosis, seen & diagnosed today - may well be just on his primary front teeth.
With regard to will the fluorosis be on the permanents? Generally (sorry to tell you this) the answer is yes. But definitely NOT always. And reducing the risk, can be done by not exposing him to more fluoride of course, but it may not be enough to stop the fluorosis which is already systemically present and bound to show up - in time at least when the teeth are erupted.
Again though, until the teeth do come in, it will be impossible to say with certainty how much an effect the fluorosis has had on the permanents, and as mentioned, with some cases (the minority however), there is no fluorosis with the future new erupted permanent teeth.
I'm sorry I wish I could tell you more what you "want" to hear. But, that is generally what happens.
I should point out, that contingent upon what degree there may be fluorosis, many times tooth colored composites can be done to mask the color of the flourosis. Occasionally even crowns are employed, if the flourosis is severe. So, time alone will tell what, if anything needs to be done.
I indeed hope everything turns out the best for you & your Son Ma'am!
Please let me know if I can assist with any other concerns - OK?
Cordially,
Dr. Rampton
How serious is fluorosis? Is this something I should be really worried about or is it mainly cosmetic? I feel really bad that I've done this to him when I was just trying to help him have healthy teeth :(
I understand, but don't beat your self up!
Fluorosis is almost exclusively a cosmetic situation only. It is a condition where the teeth appear somewhat discolored. Here is a pretty good web site about fluorosis: http://www.webmd.com/children/fluorosis-symptoms-causes-treatments
I'd try to NOT let it bother you. Your Son, at his age, in particular, won't even notice, unless you tell him. And, when he is older? Have it evaluated with a Dentist whom you trust, to possibly make any cosmetic tweaks, if desired or needed, to make your Son's teeth esthetically pleasing to you. He may not even need anything done at all. And, this fluorosis, is much more common than you might think. If he did have anything in the future years, it is almost always for cosmetics only...
Don't over think it, if you can. I'm certain you are a very good Mother! ( - :
Dr. Rampton
Does the above make sense?
Dr. Rampton
*NOTE: Oh, DO "rate" my answer, if you would please. Thanks!
I hope the website provided above, might have helped alleviate some of your concerns.
Again, it is essentially a cosmetic only issue for most all patients.