Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Yesterday I noticed a dot in my mouth that looked blackish.

Customer Question
It is located at the...
Yesterday I noticed a dot in my mouth that looked blackish. It is located at the bottom of my mouth where the cheek and the bottom of my mouth meet, close to my gums. Whenever I run my tongue over it, it feels like a bump. I can't remember biting my cheek or hurting it, but because of its location, it seems like it would be impossible for it to have been caused by cheek biting. It's located near some visible blood vessels. I'm worried about it because I have warts on my fingers and some of them have started out as a blackish/reddish dot and grown into a wart. It's hard to tell if that will be the case right now but I was wondering if you would be able to rule it out as a wart right now or if I will have to go to my dentist
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dental
Photo
It also appears to be a clear/whitish bump near it
5/22/2015
Dentist: Dr. Behere, Dentist replied 3 years ago
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer an the high res photo is great!
You have nothing to worry about at the moment. These spots, what we call oral melanotic macules, are completely harmless. They are usually present since birth, but can also develop later in life.
However, keep them under observation, and look out for:
A: Asymmetrical shape
B: Irregular borders
C: Change in color
D: Increase in diameter
If any of the above ABCD occurs in disproportionately quick time, you can get them biopsied.
They could be there for weeks, months, or even years. But as long as they do not show any of ABCD, they are completely harmless.
Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.
Good Luck !
Regards,
Dr. Behere
Thank you for your reSponse. Would oral warts start out like this and what's the possibility I'm driving right now spreading warts from my hand to my mouth?
Actually there is no term as oral warts.
There is zero possibility of warts spreading from your hands to your mouth.
Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.
Please leave a positive rating if my answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise!
Regards, *****
Then how do people get warts in their mouth? Why is there a zero percent chance?
These are called as melanomas, not warts.
And zero percent because a melanoma cannot be transmitted from one location to the other.
Regards, *****
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist