Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Can wisdom tooth removal cause motion sickness?

Customer Question
can wisdom tooth removal cause motion sickness?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/19/2015
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 3 years ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Welcome .I will do my best to answer your question.I am not a great typist,be patient and feel free to ask if anything is unclear.It would be highly unlikely that wisdom tooth removal had anything to do with be a causative factor of motion sickness.The mechanism for balance and equilibrium lies in the middle ear through a series of liquid filled channels.Sometimes a virus or severe trauma to the head can effect this mechanism but the wisdom teeth are not related to this part of the anatomy even remotely when dealing with their removal.If you have never had motion sickness before and this is a transient event,it is most likely a virus that may be causing your problem.If it persists,a visit to your ENT physician would be your best bet.There is no research or any indication though that wisdom tooth removal causes motion sickness.
Is it possible that the pain killers are causing the nausea and it worsens when i get in a moving vehicle
The pain killers can certainly cause nausea and if you are in a moving vehicle it could make it worse.Do you have any swelling from the surgery? How long ago was it done?
only minor swelling it was done 4 days ago. a week prior to extraction it was badly infected but antibiotics mostly cleared it up.
You are on your way to getting better.You are most likely taking some type of codeine derivative that causes nausea in most people.If you can switch to ibuprofen 400 mg every 4 hours and alternate that with 1000 mg of acetominophen every four hours,you may find the the stronger pain killers are not needed and the nausea will go away along with the motion sickness.Soreness after these type of extractions usually diminishes after the forth day post op.
Is there anything else that i can help you with?
When you get a chance,can you please supply a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site,Thanks