Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Is cadaver bone safe to use for a dental implant as I am

Customer Question
concerned about HIV, hep c...
Is cadaver bone safe to use for a dental implant as I am concerned about HIV, hep c, etc
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
5/15/2015
Dentist: Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 years ago
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Welcome .I will do my best to answer your question.I am not a great typist,be patient and feel free to ask if anything is unclear.Cadaver bone is a safe graft that is used commonly in dentistry.This type of bone works better than synthetic substitutes and there has never been a case of cross contamination with the cadaver bone on the market.This bone is treated with hydrochloric acid to demineralize it and also treated with intense UV light radiation.No virus or bacteria could survive this treatment.They go through great pains to purify these grafting materials and that is part of the reason that they are so expensive.You do not need to worry about contamination with the products on the market today.What you should be concerned about is whether you really need a bone grafting procedure or not.Many dentists will insist on grafting a new extraction site when if left alone without grafting,will achieve the same results.This may not be true in your case but in many cases it is.Some dentists insist on grafting just to pad the bill.If you have further questions please ask.
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)