Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have a lump under my chin. It feels tight and feels not

Customer Question
Hi i have a lump...

Hi i have a lump under my chin. It feels tight and feels not painful but i feel sonethibg when i move my head back or down. also i  forgot to add that it feels like a bruise or something but ive not beenhit. i also feel when i take deep breath i have a feeling of a cough

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
5/12/2015
Dentist: Dr Matthew Kremser, Dentist (DDS or equivalent) replied 2 years ago
Dr Matthew Kremser
Dr Matthew Kremser, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Is the lump seem to be in the shape of a ball? Like a pea or even a marble? This could be an enlarged lymph node... have you recently been ill? Feeling tired?

i wasnt eating properly last week and kept feelinga hungry sick but thats gone now as im eating right. my sleep pattern is bad st moment i keep going to bed at 5am i think its cos im missing my mum who died last year

Relist: Incomplete answer.
I still would like to know the shape of the mass... a picture of the area would be great...

its a pea size lump but when i move my head back you can see it very slightly. i do feel its getting a bit better

definitely sounds like an inflamed lymph node; tilting you head back will make it easier to palpate and occasionally visually detect. These lymph nodes can swell from time to time when there is an illness or infection in the body. Usually they return to normal size, but it is not unheard of that one can remain larger permanently. I had an oral-pathology professor examine my neck and correctly deduce that I had mono in the past because one of the lymph nodes in my neck was swollen!

is it serious? like cancer? will it go away on its own? i dont have or had cold but havent been eating right or sleeping right could that of caused it?

No- completely harmless. Generally, yes, it goes back to normal size within a few weeks. You might not be sleeping well or eating well because you have been sick...

oh right i didnt know i was unwell that would prob explain my odd period i had last month

Cannot tell for sure, but no problem waiting a week or two and seeing if the lymph node goes down in size. Many people also have one that swells right behind their ear!

if it doesnt then what? i think it is cos im feeling tight under my chin when i put my head back but its not as bad today as yesterday feels better

If it remains that size for 2 more weeks, or is still tender, see your physician... it could be a sign of a serious condition, but most likely would still be a benign, harmless issue.

so not cancer?

One sign of certain forms of cancer- leukemia for example- can be rapidly enlarging lymph nodes. However, there is no reason to worry about that at this point. It is far more likely that you have a virus, a bacterial infection or something else minor causing this. Wait 2 weeks and make an appointment with your physician if it is not completely normal.

okay thank you for all your help

Your welcome!

sorry to bother you again, im noticing that with this today i have a ache in my neck which makes me feel i want to cough is this normal? i feel i can move my head back more still a little tender by different head and jaw movements but much better than tuesday

The area of the swollen lymph node can be sore to the touch, so neck or head movements could definitely cause some discomfort- minor, I would expect. Again, if it is getting better, would not be concerned at this point and reassess in 2 weeks.
Dr Matthew Kremser
Dr Matthew Kremser