Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Son is 46 just diagnosed with decompensated cirrhosis and

Customer Question
taking 2 diuretics. NOW both...
Son is 46 just diagnosed with decompensated cirrhosis and taking 2 diuretics. NOW both front teeth have chipped or crumbled and at the Hematology Clinic had not seen this before. He went to the dental clinic last Tuesday with first incident and was given appt on 5/14/15 when the other front tooth had a crumbling like chip yesterday. Last year his teeth were fine at checkup with no cavities and now this is happening spontaneously with even dark lines appearing like cavities. Also a cut under tongue too. They did not give him any antibiotic at the Hematology Clinic. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
5/5/2015
Dentist: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 2 years ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

There is no indication in what you have relayed that would indicate an infection or a need for antibiotics. It is true that persons with cirrhosis are at increased risk for infection, but none of the facts that you have included would indicate that there is an infection present.

The greatest concern in this situation would be whether there is adequate nutrition to maintain the health of tissues, whether of the teeth or the tongue. The liver is the major metabolic center in the body, and decompensated liver disease will both cause inadequate levels of key substances in the body and cause certain toxins to build up in the body. Although the dentist can perform procedures to help with dental health, it is also important to optimize liver function and nutrition.

If there are any other symptoms that make you feel that antibiotics would be appropriate, please let me know.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor