Just Dental Truths!
Just Dental Truths!, Dentist
Experience:  29 year clinical Practioner
43314942

Ok here goes. I am a 27 year old male. I recently saw the

Customer Question

ok here goes. I am a 27 year old male. I recently saw the dentist. They cleaned my teeth and x rayed my entire mouth. However, there is pain in the back part of my mouth on the lower jaw area. I felt around and it felt like a tooth is coming through the
gums. The dentists felt around and said my instincts were right but couldn't tell what it was because the x rays didn't show any wisdom tooth issues. I went to the oral surgeon and he loked at my mouth for about two seconds and just dismissed it as a canker
sore. I know it is not a canker sore because it feels like the tooth is protruding further and my back jaw is becoming painful. I do clench a lot but I know something must be wrong. I see the oral surgeon for a follow up a week from now to see if the pain
in my gums is still there in which the oral surgeon says he will biopsy the tissue. I'm scared because it's like nobody is noticing this but me. Can someone help me by giving me some sort of closure in the meantime? I don't want my jaw to shatter here. Help
me!
Category: Dental
Expert:  Just Dental Truths! replied 2 years ago.

I understand you, and am sorry you are having pain/trouble.

With the above said, you mentioned you recently had a cleaning at the Dentist. I am NOT saying that your problem is related, as I do not know, but it could be... Sometimes, after a cleaning, surrounding teeth, tissue, etc., is sore. And, it would certainly be possible. Definitely not for certain the cause of your trouble, but definitely possible for being the cause.

Since you have just had numerous x-rays, it sounds like no there is no extra tooth coming in (even though it "feels" that way to you). So, that should be ruled out.

Also, I should tell you that although I'm more inclined to think it is related to the recent cleaning & Dental exam, there are "some" things that science just can't explain.

Here is what I am saying, I do NOT know what specifically is wrong. My money would strongly be on the recent Dental cleaning & exam having inadvertently caused the problem however. And, the very best news, is whatever the problem - it should subside "at least slowly" and GO AWAY! I realize this does not help the discomfort her & now. But, given some time, over the future days or week, it is only plausible & expected that the pain which you are now having should go away!!! I hope this helps you Sir!

*NOTE: You could try some pain medication, such as 800 mg. Ibuprofen every 6 hours, for the short haul, if needed. And I'd EXPECT this problem to subside. If not I will be very surprised. And, I'd then see the Oral Surgeon, possibly for that biopsy he suggested, but I don't think it will come to that. Please hang in there...

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you so much! luke

I am so sorry I can't tell you with 100% clarity Luke...

But, the most logical thing is that the problem may well be related to the cleaning and exam. And, it SHOULD go away!

Best wishes to you Luke!