Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I had a filling replaced in a back molar about 3-4 weeks

Customer Question
ago. I am now...
I had a filling replaced in a back molar about 3-4 weeks ago. I am now experiencing cold and hot sensitivities along with pain in the upper area near the tooth and into my ear on the same side. With some stuffy feeling in my ear. Both the bottom and top teeth hurt and the bottom are mote sensitive tHan the top? Any thoughts?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dental
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/2/2015
Dentist: Dr. Behere, Dentist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

It is possible that the filling is too deep, thereby causing thermal and mechanical insults to the pulp, leading to inflammation of the pulp (pulpitis) and thus pain. Another possibility is that the decay was incompletely removed,and the remaining decay is now causing the pulpitis. One last possibility I can think of is that the filling has a high point, that is, it has not been contoured and polished properly, causing unnatural contacts with the opposite teeth and thus pain. The next step forward, is to narrow down these possible causes to one cause, and correct it. I suggest you you go back to your dentist. X rays will be helpful. The filling may have to be re-contoured, re done or maybe even a root canal is what is now required.

The stuffy feeling in the ear is due to referred pain from the teeth, which is a very common phenomenon.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.

Good Luck !

Regards,
Dr. Behere

Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist