Dental

I have had a mild tenderness above one of my upper molars…

I have had a mild...
I have had a mild tenderness above one of my upper molars for several months. My dentist said that my x-rays did not show any problems and to rinse with salt water and see if it dies down. Today I had more tenderness than usual and when I ran my finger... Read full answer
I have had a mild tenderness above one of my upper molars for several months. My dentist said that my x-rays did not show any problems and to rinse with salt water and see if it dies down. Today I had more tenderness than usual and when I ran my finger over the upper gum above my teeth, there was quite a large hard lump between the tooth and my mouth...on the cheek side of the tooth, not the roof of the mouth.
2/21/2015
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Welcome .I will do my best to answer your question.I am not a great typist,be patient and feel free to ask if anything is unclear.When you run your finger on the opposite side of your mouth in the same area,do you feel a similar lump?Does this lump at all feel soft.Is there any pain in the tooth below the lump or is there any pain when chewing? Does the gum just feel tender or do you have any tooth pain at all?Can you see any color change on this lump or does the tissue overlying this lump appear to be the same color as the rest of the gum?

Thanks. The lump is definitely only on one side of my mouth. The skin over the lump is normal and soft. The lump itself is pretty hard, although not quite as hard as feeling a tooth itself under the gum. The molar itself has been mildly tender for several months. It started with a sensitivity to heat and cold. Again, my dentist checked it and could find nothing evident to cause the tenderness, so he suggested seeing if it died down on its own. It did improve and the tooth is now sensitive only to very cold...not hot. However, I could feel tenderness on the gum above the tooth when I pressed on it from the outside of my cheek.

I'm really not sure how long the lump has been there, but I suspect a very short time. I never thought to feel inside my mouth until today because it was very tender when I brushed my teeth this morning - first time that has happened, so I think the lump appeared very rapidly. (I was just at the dentist about three weeks ago and he did not see anything at that time.)

Do you have any missing teeth that have not been replaced? When you bring your teeth together,does it feel like one side hits before the other?

No, my bite is pretty good. I do have several missing teeth, but that is because 4 were removed prior to getting braces, then I also had all four wisdom teeth taken out after the braces were off. Both sides hit at the same time.

I do wear a mouth piece at night sometimes because I snore, and my bite is a little altered in the morning sometimes, but once I have breakfast, it goes back into alignment.

Pain to hot and cold is normally a symptom of a bite problem.If you grind your teeth,this sensitivity can become worse.Sometimes ,some people under stress will clench and grind their teeth at night without knowing it.The fact that your bite feels a little altered in the morning is a significant symptom of an unbalanced bite.This can be easily remedied by having your dentist checking your bite carefully and doing some very slight selective buffing of the cusps of the teeth involved.The whole procedure takes less than 3 minutes and is painless.The fact that it has reverted to sensitivity to cold,indicates that your problem is not anything serious with the teeth themselves.The lump that you are describing has probably been there for many years even though you are just noticing it now.This lump is called a maxillary tori or exostosis.These are benign growths of bone that can be found in a variety of sizes and configurations throughout the hard tissues of the mouth.They are harmless and need no treatment.The sensitivity that you are having is coming from the periodontal ligament that surrounds the molar.This ligament is very sensitive to any change in pressure.When your dentist checks your bite,I am pretty certain that he will find that the cusps of this upper molar are striking the opposing tooth too soon .Does any of this make sense?

OK, thanks so much. I will check with my dentist. I mainly wanted to make sure this wasn't something that needed to be seen immediately.

No need to reply...I will just call my dentist on Monday and make an appointment to have it checked out.

If it were soft,I would be more concerned.Please let me know what happens.When you get a chance,please supply a rating so that we can maintain good quality control on this site. Thanks
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz, Dentist (DDS or equivalent)
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
PAIN has suddenly emerged in the root area of an upper
PAIN has suddenly emerged in the root area of an upper bicuspid. The pain initially felt as if if some food particle had gotten wedged between teeth at the gum line but after thorough flossing / rinsi… read more
Lara Coseo
Lara Coseo
Owner,
Doctor of Dental Surgery
I had a small filling done end of Oct and after 3 weeks, it
Hi, I had a small filling done end of Oct and after 3 weeks, it was still so painful. I went to a 2nd dentist and he ended up redoing the fill. The teeth is not sensitive to air, hit or cold now but s… read more
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor
I have noticed a abscess in my mouth on the lower jaw on the
I have noticed a abscess in my mouth on the lower jaw on the back near the joint it is in the soft tissue. I will feel a lump and it will burst. Tastes terrible and I will rinse with mouthwash several… read more
Dr. Katz
Dr. Katz
Dentist (DDS or equivalent),
Stop searching for answers—
I have a hard lump below the gum line of my 2 lower molars
I have a hard lump below the gum line of my 2 lower molars that are both rotten. … read more
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor
My daughter has been ill for the last week. She has had
My daughter has been ill for the last week. She has had intermittent fevers, she has blisters on her tongue, roof of her mouth and tonsils. She can't eat and gets nauseous. The doctor's locally told u… read more
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor
I have pain on right side upper gum line where cheek meets
I have pain on right side upper gum line where cheek meets gum line. there seems to be a small lump where the pain is located. I also feel the pain when I bite down on something on the right side.… read more
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere
Practicing Dental Surgeon,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
For the past few days I've been experiencing severe pain on
For the past few days I've been experiencing severe pain on my right cheekbone, teeth, and gums. It's difficult to open my mouth and hurts a lot when I chew. The pain is worse than ever right now, and… read more
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor
I have a lump above my back tooth on my gum. I've had it
I have a lump above my back tooth on my gum. I've had it about a month and came about when I saw a dentist regarding that tooth that was hurting. Tooth ended up being part of sinus infection. However,… read more
Root Canal Doctor
Root Canal Doctor
I started having swelling behind my back left molar a few
I started having swelling behind my back left molar a few days ago. I had my wisdom teeth removed over a decade ago so I know it is not that. The inflammation behind my back left molar seems to be sep… read more
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere
Practicing Dental Surgeon,
I have regular 6 month checkups and cleaning. I have a sharp
I have regular 6 month checkups and cleaning. I have a sharp pain in my mouth that seems to be between teeth in my permanent bridge. Anything cold starts the pain and it goes away when the cold goes a… read more
Dr. Peel
Dr. Peel
Dental Surgeon,
I'm having pain for the third day now on my upper left gum
I'm having pain for the third day now on my upper left gum area near my molars. All four of my wisdom teeth were pulled over 2 years ago and there were no complications. Compared to my right side, the… read more
Dr. Peel
Dr. Peel
Dental Surgeon,
As I began last week I was a little tensed up about things I
As I began last week I was a little tensed up about things I had to do at the end of the week and weekend. As we approached the weekend, I notcied that my gums were very tender near to the teeth espci… read more
Dr. Peel
Dr. Peel
Dental Surgeon,
Stop searching for answers—
Suffering from acute gum irritation around the 3rd molar
Suffering from acute gum irritation around the 3rd molar both sides upper and lower, past three weeks . Been to two dental surgeons , took several x-rays , they see no swollen gums, no bleeding but ha… read more
Dr. Dentique
Dr. Dentique
For background, I'm a twenty-four-year-old female with
For background, I'm a twenty-four-year-old female with excellent dental hygiene. I'm one of those people who never has any sort of dental problems. I brush with Crest Pro-Health regular and night form… read more
Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex
Dentist,
My son has a lump on the roof of his mouth next to his
my son has a lump on the roof of his mouth next to his molar. he is in extreme pain and i am not sure how to proceed. at first, i htought maybe (he is 6) next molar was coming in there...but i would t… read more
Dr. Girish
Dr. Girish
Dentist,
I just had a crown and portions of my tooth fall out. I had
I just had a crown and portions of my tooth fall out. I had a root canal on this tooth done years ago. I have had naseau and cheek pain for a few weeks. Could there have been an infection in the tooth… read more
Dr Jeff
Dr Jeff
I went to the dentist when I was 19, now i am 23, and the
I went to the dentist when I was 19, now i am 23, and the dentist told me i didnt need my wisdom teeth removed. Now, instead, one tooth at the upper left, is sharp and cutting into my cheek, what shou… read more
Dr.Hans
Dr.Hans
Practicing Dental Surgeon,
I have just discovered a large lump in my mouth between my
I have just discovered a large lump in my mouth between my cheek and gum. Although it is not tender to touch, I am still concerned. Please tell me what it is and any home remedies that may assist in i… read more
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere
Practicing Dental Surgeon,