Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

I have a question. I am starting to feel a little bit of…

Hello I have a question...
Hello I have a question. I am starting to feel a little bit of pain on my upper teeth. My sharp tooth on the right side of my mouth and I believe the molar behind it. Now as of now I dont think it hurts when I bite down, but I noticed it about an hour
ago and sometimes feel it and dont. If I push on it or touch it doesnt hurt. It feels like if I breath heavy and wind comes over it or something that's when I feel it. Like a quick pain. I have not been to the dentist in a very long time I actually am going
tomorrow. Not just because of the pain but because I need to anyway. My gums bleed very easy and I know I have all types of problems up there. Im scared to go really because of how bad it may be. ANy thoughts?
11/3/2014
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.
From the description of your symptoms, it seems like you have dentinal hypersensitivity in that tooth.
A layer of enamel, protects the crowns of healthy teeth.Likewise, a layer called cementum protects the roots under the gum line. Underneath the enamel and the cementum is dentin, a part of the tooth that is weaker and more sensitive than enamel or cementum.When the dentin loses its protective covering (enamel or cementum), or when it is thinned down, heat and cold or acidic or sticky foods stimulate the nerves and cells inside the tooth. This causes dentinal hypersensitivity.
Cavities and fractured teeth are the most common causes of sensitive teeth, but in your case, since you mention that your gums bleed very easily, the cause in your case could be gum recession.
There is no need to be scared, sensitivity is quite easy to treat. A desensitizing toothpaste, which contains compounds that help block transmission of sensation from the tooth surface to the nerve are very useful. But they require several applications before the sensitivity is reduced. Try using this one from today itself: http://www.colgatesensitiveprorelief.com/EN/products/toothpaste
If this does not work, your dentist may suggest in-office techniques. A fluoride gel, which strengthens tooth enamel and reduces the transmission of sensations, may be applied to the sensitive areas of the teeth.
If receding gums cause the sensitivity, your dentist may use agents that bond to the tooth root to "seal" the sensitive teeth from the oral environment. The sealer usually is composed of a plastic material like Glass Ionomer Cement. You may also have to undergo a scaling procedure to get rid of the local irritants that are cause the gum bleeding.
In cases where hypersensitivity is severe and persistent and cannot be treated by any other means, your dentist may recommend endodontic (root canal) treatment to eliminate the problem. This removes the nerves from the tooth, thereby removing any and all sensations that the tooth might feel.
Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information. Please leave a positive rating for me if this answer has helped you. I do not get credit for it otherwise.
Good Luck !
Regards,
Dr. Behere
If my answer has helped you, please give me a *POSITIVE RATING*.
A * BONUS* will be highly appreciated. This tells me that my advice was indeed beneficial.
OK also I think I may have gingivitis in my gums or teeth. I seem to have some hard like substances on the bottom part of my front teeth at the bottom, may be hard plaque. My concern is what the picture is I attached. It bleeds allot sometimes. Not sure if you can see that but thats actually near the tooth that hurts. Is it ever to late to go to a dentist. I feel thats my case. THe pic isnt as good as it should be but that area is dark and bleeds at times.
Thanks for the photo.
The hard substance is mostly calclulus. This can be removed during scaling. And no , it is never too late , as cliched as it sounds, its true !
I can see some gum inflammation and swelling, you do have gingivitis in that area. Till you can visit your dentist, you can start using any mouthwash containing Chlorhexidine Gluconate, an antiseptic-antibacterial.
Also, avoid spicy and hot food. If you are a smoker, cut down on your smoking for a few weeks at least.
Also, please read these two excellent references on gingivitis:
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/gingivitis/article_em.htm
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/gingivitis/basics/definition/con-20021422
Good Luck !
Regards,
Dr. Behere
Thanks!
You are welcome !
Please leave a positive rating if you feel I have helped you.A bonus is always welcome !
Regards,
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist