Dr. Peel
Dr. Peel, Dentist
Experience:  General dentist with 20+ years of experience.
17496805

My dentist wants to charge $40 to use a screening test for

My dentist wants to charge $40 to use a screening test for oral cancer called Identafi. It is not covered by my insurance. Is this worthwhile?
Hello, my name is***** and I will try my best to provide you with the answer to your question.
Oral cancer is one of those "silent for a long time" diseases . There seems to be a slight rise in oral cancer over the last 20 years due to std's (mostly from HPV that many don't even know they have) that have been appearing due to changes in sexual practices. The other is smoking, and regular alcohol use, particularly among women.
The cost of the machine itself is high and so the dentist is only trying to recoup the cost. He makes very little from the testing himself. The benefit to him is catching the odd case here and there and helping his patients feels safer with a test that can detect these things early, when they can be treated successfully. The tissue changes are not visible to the naked eye and this machine detects these changes
As a screen, your doctor may not ask you about any of the above sensitive questions but will simply screen all of his patients . For $40 I would not hesitate.
I hope this helps. Please ask more if I can help further.
Hello Meta,
I found a great little video that will show you what this test is all about. This will help you understand the value of this test. Hope it helps.
Best,
Dr. Peel
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Where is the video please? Also not sure you got my last question Dr.

Identafi 3000 Screening Process - YouTube
Sorry I forgot to put that on. I do think this is a worthwhile test!