Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine
2883465

I HAVE TINY RASH-LIKE CLEAR BUMPS INSIDE MY LOWER LIP AND

Customer Question

I HAVE TINY RASH-LIKE CLEAR BUMPS INSIDE MY LOWER LIP AND ALONG SIDE THE INNER LOWER GUMS. THE AREAS ARE RED AND QUITE PAINFUL, WHAT COULD CAUSE THIS AND HOW DO I TREAT IT? I'VE BEEN EATING LOTS OF FRUITS AND VEGETABLES, AND SALTY PUMPKIN SEEDS.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Young replied 5 years ago.
Dr. Young : Hi there. I will review your question and be right with you.
Dr. Young : Are the bumps on your gum tissue or on your lips?
Dr. Young : ?
Dr. Young : Can you tell me if the bumps are on your lips or gum tissue?
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Although you are in a demographic where oral lichen planus is particularly prevalent, it does not typically present with the type of blistering you describe. However, there are other similar, auto-immune disorders, including mucous membrane pemphigoid or pemphigus vularis that more commonly manifest with vesicles and blisters in these areas.

Because of the potential for serious complications from these conditions, it is important that you seek appropriate consultation for a formal diagnostic assessment. In some cases, this process may necessitate certain blood tests, biopsies, and specialized immunohistologic examination. The type of doctor best qualified for this task would be a clinical oral pathologist. You can find contact information for one of these practitioners near you by consulting the online directory of the American Academy of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology.

Hope this helps...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine