How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jasleen Bagga Your Own Question
Jasleen Bagga
Jasleen Bagga, Dentist
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 766
Experience:  B.D.S with 4 years of experience
Type Your Dental Question Here...
Jasleen Bagga is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a tooth ache, the tooth has a crown on it, a root

This answer was rated:

I have a tooth ache, the tooth has a crown on it, a root canal was done about 4 years ago, and now starting hurting

Thanks for using ' Just Answer ' and i would be glad to assist you.

I am sorry to hear regarding the trouble.

Be advised that as i do not have any luxury to examine your teeth and have a look at radiographic x ray, i would not be able to provide any legitimate 2nd opinion, however would be able to add few inputs to the question posted.

The symptoms you mentioned are highly suggestive of root canal failure. It would not be possible for me to predict whether the treatment that you had few years ago was bad or not. The symptoms you mentioned are very characteristic of an active infectious process. Even though the tooth has been treated with a root canal, there could exist a microscopic leakage through the crown with saliva and bacteria. This situation could dissolve the sealer that attaches the crown to the tooth and also the sealer of the root canal itself. Thus, the passage of bacteria again to the canal area would create an infection, similar to what happens when the nerve of a tooth gets infected.

A re root canal treatment is recommended when the tooth gets reinfected. On few occasions, a dentist will do an apicoectomy, which means removing the tip of the root of the tooth where the infection may reside. This is a more direct treatment than a root canal, and is performed by endodontists. Though the success rate of re root canal has a lower success rate than doing it the first time, however in few occasions it is justified.

I would advise you to consult an endodontist ( you could get a referral from your general dentist ) for the further treatment protocol. He would be the best person to guide whether re root canal or extraction followed by either a fixed bridge or implant - borne prosthesis.

For pain, you could take Ibuprofen 400 mg thrice daily for 3 days.If you still experience pain, you could take the below medication :-

A very effective way to control dental pain using the over the counter medications is to switch between taking 400 milligrams of Ibuprofen (2 tablets of Advil) and 1000 milligrams of acetaminophen (Tylenol) every 4 hours., if you are not allergic to these drugs.

Unfortunately, there are not much options left other than consulting a general dentist / endodontist ( preferably ) ASAP so that further treatment protocol could be decided.

Any Further Questions, Revert and i would be glad to Answer.

Kindly Accept the Solution,if 100% Satisfied from my response.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.

Jasleen Bagga and other Dental Specialists are ready to help you