Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Movable lump in my cheek that can only be felt with mouth wide open. What could this be?

I have a movable lump...

I have a movable lump in my cheek that can only be felt with mouth wide open. What could this be?

3/6/2012
Dr. Care

A lump in the cheek is probably not of grave danger. If it is not a visible lesion or sore, it could be a gland that is irritated or has a blocked duct. Sometimes cheek biting in an area can create a lump also. If you can find your way to an oral surgeon, they have a lot of experience in soft tissue issues. You may need a referral from a general dentist however. You can make contact with surgeons in your area to see if you can go directly.

No cheek biting. The lump can only be felt from the outside. I cannot find the lump with my mouth closed or from the inside of my mouth. If I manipulate the lump several times it will ache for a minute but not longer.

Depending on where this lump is as far as positioning. If it is about mid line between the upper and lower teeth and back as far as the molars, it is probably the parotid gland in which it is not uncommon to have a blocked duct. You should be able to feel it by gently squeezing the area with your thumb on the inside and finger on the outside of your cheek. If you otherwise cannot feel anything on the inside then it may be from the skin itself or a gland just under the skin. I would say then if you cannot feel it by this method at all on the inside of the mouth then seek a dermatologist to check from the outside.

Dr. Care
Dr. Care
Dr. Care
Dr. Care, DDS