Dental

Ask a dentist. Get answers to your dental questions.

Along with painful tiny sores on top of my tongue, I

Customer Question
occasionaly get white patches on...
Along with painful tiny sores on top of my tongue, I occasionaly get white patches on the side of my tongue. What might this be? Have had this ongoing problem for a long time.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dental
2/17/2012
Dentist: Dr. Amir Javed, Doctor replied 6 years ago
Dr. Amir Javed
Thanks for the question. I would like to have few important details. Any history of diabetes? Any evaluation done by physician yet?

No diabetes history. My dentist looked at it and did not really know what it was.

Thanks for the details. I would like to say that this can be due to infection, nutritional deficiency, autoimmne disorder. I will suggest to see another dentist and there might need to do tongue biopsy to establish the diagnosis which can be any one of the above which I mentioned. Also important to rule out any disturbed blood sugar level again to rule out fungal infection. Let me know if you have any further question. Best wishes.

Do accept the answer in this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. Positive feedback and bonuses will be appreciated.

Best of luck and keep in touch
Dr. Amir Javed.
Relist: Other.
I had requested Dr. Abby by clicking on her name but I got a different doctor.
Thats not a problem as this question came to me. I am going to opt out and let her know about your question. I wish you best of luck.
Dentist: DrPhilMD, Doctor (MD) replied 6 years ago
DrPhilMD
DrPhilMD, Doctor (MD)
Hello. I would like to help you find an answer.
Would you like my help on this matter?
I have bumpy white patches on the sides of my tongue. Often painful. I've had them many times before now. I also have tiny painful bumps on top of my tongue. Could they be canker sores.? I don't see a red border around the white patches. There also seems to be a thin white line on the side of my tongue. What might this be?
they could be.
Get tested for iron and b12 deficiency as those can both cause canker sores.
Treat with triamcinolone paste.
If you have follow up questions, please ask prior to accepting.
Dentist: Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist replied 6 years ago
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine
Would you be able to provide photographs of the involved areas? You may use the "paper clip" icon on the text entry form toolbar to upload your digital pictures. Alternatively, you may send your pictures to a photo hosting site, such as Flickr or Photobucket, and provide a link to the pictures in a reply to this information request. This will allow me to provide a more accurate and relevant response...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist