Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I have what appears to look like a pimple on my gum above my

front tooth i have some...
i have what appears to look like a pimple on my gum above my front tooth i have some cephalexin 500 mg should i take them till i can see a dentist
2/1/2012
Dr. Mariana
Dr. Mariana, Orthodontist
Sometimes, after the nerve of a tooth dies the infection gets beyond the tooth and into the surrounding tissues. Usually the abscess originates from a bacterial infection that has accumulated in the soft, often dead, pulp of the tooth. This can be caused by untreated tooth decay, cracked teeth or extensive periodontal disease. A failed root canal treatment may also create a similar abscess.
The abscess can have different courses, but one of them is the formation of a gingival abscess or gumboil.
Successful treatment of a dental abscess centers on the reduction and elimination of the offending organisms. This can include treatment with antibiotics . However , antibiotics is NOT the treatment for gum boil. Taking antibiotics without the indication of the dentist can bring complications or render them useless when you really need antibiotic treatment.
My advice is to call the dental office and get the dentist to see you as soon as possible.
I hope this helps,
Dr Mariana Levy
I had a route canal on the same tooth about 10 years ago and also had a gumboil behind the tooth on the roof of my mouth. Do you think the solution is going to be to remove the tooth all together?
I alway think that whenever a tooth can be saved with a reasonable good prognosis, it should be saved.
I think you will need an endodontist to take a look at it. Endodontists are root canal specialists and the best trained to give you the most complete picture. Here is a link that you can consult to find an Endodontist near you:
http://www.aae.org/Patients/
Dr. Mariana
Dr. Mariana, Orthodontist
Dr. Mariana
Dr. Mariana
Dr. Mariana, Orthodontist