Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

I've had head pressure for a couple of months. I've been to

Customer Question
doctors, and nothing. Went to...
I've had head pressure for a couple of months. I've been to doctors, and nothing. Went to dentist when this started, 4 bad teeth. Today went back and there is an infection. I've been sweating, having shakes, head pains, headaches, and now I hVe a stye on my eye. I'm scared that this infection is much worse than my dentist put on. Afraid that it is spreading to heart or brain. I haven't had tooth pain or noticeable swelling. I'm really freaking out. I have a sinus infection, and my resting heart rate is up, along with the stye... I started amoxicillin just now, and like I said I'm scared it's spreading. My throat is feeling tight and dry also.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dental
12/9/2011
Dentist: Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD) replied 6 years ago
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Hi--have your seen your doctor about this?
I have. I saw a doctor on Wednesday and a dentist yesterday. Should I go back to the doctor??? Does it sound like the infection is moving???
What did the doctor think was the location of the infection?
The dentist just said there was a "little bit of an infection". I dont know if that means an abscess or not. He didn't say where, as in the tooth itself or whatever...
OK. I think you need to see the medical doctor as soon as possible. This sounds like more than an simple tooth abscess and although there may be sinusitis, I worry that your many symptoms indicate that the infection is spreading, and meningitis is possible. I strongly urge you to see the doctor now.
Ok, my doctor just diagnosed me with anxiety. Should I go to the er??? How will they test or meningitis. I had blood work done 2 1/2 to 3 weeks ago, and all was fine.
I think you should go to the ER for an MRI of the brain and head to look for spreading infection.
Even after bloodwork? This infection is fairly new, I had dental x-rays 2 months ago and it wasn't there. Also, no fever, no neck issues...
Despite the previous bloodwork, I still think you need the MRI's.
Ok... Why do you think this is meningitis??? And do you think it's from my tooth??? I'm freaking out now... Can't the dentist tell from c-rays if it was spreading??? Also, my head pains and headaches aren't constant... Would meningitis show in bloodwork???
The dental x-rays would not show the infections I'm considering. The blood work might only show an elevated WBC but not necessarily. While the sweats and shakes could just be anxiety, they could be from an infection. It would just be prudent for you to get more fully evaluated.
Ok, I feel I Gould also mention that these symptoms weren't all together... They happened at differen points in time. Also, wouldn't there be more severe symptoms with a brain infection??? Sorry, I am just really freaked out, bc I've seen so many docs, an no one has even considered this. Also, are you thinking this is from the dental infection???
I undertand your concern. If this is from a dental infection, as I said, you're having more symptoms than just a simple tooth infection would cause. At least, with the MRI's if they are negative, then you can rest assured that this isn't an infection that has spread from the tooth.
Just spoke to the dentist, and he said the infection is minor. He said he really doubts this spread bc it's so small. Is this true??? I mean if it were to spread wouldnt it be severe??? I haven't had any fever, and once my doc said it was anxiety, most of the symptoms went away... Would it be a very low level of meningitis since I don't have any fever or neck pain???
With all due respect to your dentist, he isn't a medical doctor. It mah well be that this is just anxiety, but I can't examine you. All I can say is given the history of a tooth infection and with what you've told me, I can't in good conscience tell you not to worry and not to be further evaluated.
even though I saw my md on Wednesday, it still could be??? Would the sty be related to this???
Well, a stye, being a head infection, could also lead to meningitis. At least call your doctor and see if he feels nothing more needs to be done at this point.
Can I wait until Monday, or will I die??? I'm taking the amoxicillin...
Well, as long as you don't start getting a severe headache and fever, I suppose it can wait until Monday.
Ok... The sweats and shaking I mentioned usually only occur at night on my head and chest. The shaking is mainly in my legs, but has almost disappeared. Are any of the other symptoms meningitis related??? I'm on hold with my doctor now. Will te amoxicillin help at all if this is meningitis??? I know that a brain infection is incredibly severe... Anything else I should look out for???
Also, with the headache, would I know that it is a severe headache??? I just am trying to get it. I have headaches, but they go away with rest or excedrin tension. Will I know the difference???
Well, let me ask you--I've given you my thoughts here. What more can I add that might help you decided what to do about this?
I called my doctor and he state that meningitis would present quite differently-- with a rash, fever, I wouldn't be able to move my head, etc. I appreciate your time, but could you please answer my previous questions??? Thanks again.
OK. With classic meningits, the rash may be present, but not from meningitis from a head infection. As for the severity of the headache, it would be one that you couldn't easily tolerate. And the early stages of meningitis may not involve a severe headache.
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Also, woul amoxicillin help the early stages of meningitis or not???
It might, but it wouldn't be a standard antibiotic for that.
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)