Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I have a small black bump inside my mouth. It just

I have a small black bump inside my mouth. It just happened...What is it
Category: Dental
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 5 years ago.
Hi and thank you for your question, I am a verified Expert and am happy to help you today. Where in your mouth is it located? How big is it?
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Would you be able to provide a photograph of the involved area? You may upload a digital picture by clicking the "paper clip" icon on the text entry form toolbar. Alternatively, you may send your picture to a photo hosting site, such as Flickr or Photobucket, and provide a link to the photo in a reply to this information request. This will allow me to provide a more accurate and relevant response.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, it was inside cheek close, but not touching my mouth. it was round and black and got bigger. I took two Excedrin's and the next morning it obviously popped and it was gone. Now, there is a rough place where it was. Could it be an allergy? Nothing to photo now. It came up suddenly, got bigger, then burst (disgusting)
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
Your description strongly suggests that it was a hematoma, or "blood blister". These areas of internal bleeding under the mucous membrane tissue surface are usually the result of minor trauma, such as an inadvertent cheek or lip bite, and cause a small collection of blood to pool under the tissue surface in a small blister. Typically, these blisters rupture, leaving a small ulcerated surface that heals within a few days without the need for any intervention. If this blood blister was located on the cheek or lip at approximately the level where the upper and lower teeth meet, this would be further corroboration of its identity.

Usually, these events are the result of simple accident. In other cases, you may be able to identify a sharp or malposed tooth, or a denture clasp, or some other area in the mouth that due to its surface contour or position may be likely to cause additional injury in the future, and in these cases it would be appropriate to have your dentist smooth out or eliminate the offending sharp surface to diminish the risk of it happening again.

In some cases, blood blisters can recur frequently without any apparent physical cause, and in these cases it would be prudent for a formal medical diagnosis to rule out any blood clotting disorder or connective tissue disease which may predispose to bleeding.

Hope this helps...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA