Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Why have the base oc my gums turned dark red and the top are

Customer Question
pink?...
Why have the base oc my gums turned dark red and the top are pink?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dental
8/28/2011
Dentist: Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist replied 6 years ago
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Would it be possible for you to provide a photograph of the involved area? You may upload a digital photo by clicking the "paper clip" icon on the text entry form toolbar; alternatively, you may send your photo to a photo hosting site, such as Flickr or Photobucket, and provide a link to the photo in a reply to this information request.
do not have that option available right now.
I am still here waiting for your reply
Without a photo, I will need to speculate. However, your description suggests that you may have inflammatory periodontal disease. Other possibilities include a variety of muco-cutaneous disorders that manifest as "desquamative gingivitis"; these disorders include lichen planus, mucous membrane pemphigoid, lupus, pemphigus vulgaris, or Crohn's disease.

Because these disorders are all very different from each other, and each require very different therapeutic approaches, your first task will be to identify the nature of the disorder underlying your complaint. Therefore, you will need to schedule a diagnostic visit with your dentist; he may choose to refer you to a specialist if he deems it appropriate.

Hope this helps...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist