Dental

Ask a Dentist. Get Answers to Your Dental Questions.

Dental

Just received diagnosis of Chronic Lichenoid Mucositis with

Customer Question
Hyperorthokeratosis - Dentist says to...
Just received diagnosis of Chronic Lichenoid Mucositis with Hyperorthokeratosis - Dentist says to not worry at this time, since I don't have pain. Is this something that may turn into something serious?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Dental
8/26/2011
Dentist: Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist replied 6 years ago
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

The terms "lichenoid mucositis" and "hyperortokeratosis" are histologic descriptions of the microscopic appearance of a biopsy specimen-- something that may be offered as part of a pathologist's report. Taken by themselves, they do not provide much insight into the true nature of the lesion from which the biopsy specimen was harvested.

The term "lichenoid" literally means "resembling lichen planus", which is a discrete recognized disorder; the suffix "oid" means that although your lesion resembles lichen planus, it is not lichen planus. Of course, saying what a condition is not is not the same as saying what it is. However, most lichenoid reactions represent delayed sensitivity reactions to a foreign substance or allergen, as might occur in a contact dermatitis. When it occurs in the mouth, lichenoid reactions are usually located in tissues that are in direct contact with a foreign material, such as a dental filling or denture prosthesis.

Although the role of chronic inflammation in the development of malignancy is not fully known, the chief significance of lichenoid reactions is the difficulty in distinguishing them from other disorders; they are not thought to lead to more serious lesions.

Hope this helps...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist