Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine
2883465

I have an abscess tooth but the tooth dont hurt and the

hello I have an abscess tooth but the tooth dont hurt and the abscess went into my cheek where I cant pop it what can I do to get rid of the abscess mass
Category: Dental
Expert:  replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Although you may be able to evacuate the contents of your abscess, you will not be able to permanently eliminate the infection without having a dentist either perform root canal therapy or extract the tooth. This should be done as soon as feasible, because the persistence of infection exposes you to serious health risk.

Until you can procure professional dental service, you can encourage drainage of the infection by frequent rinsing with hot salt water solution: dissolve ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of hot water, and rinse for at least two minutes every four hours. You can also take over the counter pain medications (e.g., ibuprofen, naproxen, or acetaminophen) for management of pain, according to package directions and as tolerated.

Hope this helps...