Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I have a bukly bump on my gum under tooth #22, was told by

I have a bukly bump on my gum under tooth #22, was told by my dentist its harmless bone growth, but i can feel it and its not comfortable.. I noticed recently right next to this tooth on the gum line i feel a bulky line extending to tooth #19,, if i run my finger on my gums i feel the lump on gum on #22, then i feel some type of bulkiness on the gum extending to tooth #19........Tooth #19 has a temp crown,, the dentist i saw was pretty rough in putting a temp crown on me 3 times, i was bleeding and in discomfort,, do you think he may have irritated this area more? I had an absecc back in January,, thats when the lump under tooth #22 appeared.. Maybe if you take a look at my photo of my teeth, gums in this area you can give me your opinion.. the photo shows tooth #22, the canine tooth had the lump--it then extends out to #19.. Let me know what you think.. thanks Photo: http://i55.tinypic.com/taotgx.jpg
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Thanks for providing a photo. That "bulky bump" and "bulky line" to which you refer are normal anatomic features; this is merely the "alveolar process"-- the region of specialized bone that holds the tooth roots. It is normal for this region of gum tissue to be elevated, and this is the case to a variable degree on both sides of all the teeth.

Although I can't dispute the fact that you feel irritation, there is no abnormality in evidence in your photograph, which looks perfectly normal. (If you have the opportunity to examine anybody else's mouth, you will see similar gum shapes in all of them.)

Hope this helps...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the info,, I'm glad it looks normal,,If i put my finger over my gums everything feels flat smooth until I get to tooth #22 I do feel a bump , it is hard to see from the photo--it extends out further than the exact tooth gum on the other side,, then when i run my finger over the gum line there a bulky thick line that goes across the gums that ends at #19.it extends out more than the rest of my mouth...then the gum line is flat going out to the rest of the teeth....if i eat something spicy or drink soda/sparkling water. i feel a sensation in the gums under tooth#22......

I am seeing another dentist monday for an exam, but could it be anything else?

Here another photo with a front view

???

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The alveolar process is more prominent immediately over the canine tooth root, because the canine root is longer and wider than those of the adjacent tooth roots. This is also the case on the upper canine tooth. Again, this is perfectly normal-- in fact, the prominence of the gum tissue over the canine teeth in mammals has a formal term designation-- the "canine eminence".

I am inclined to take at face value that you feel discomfort in the area, but I can assure you that it is not due to the bump, and I see no conspicuous tissue abnormality in the two photos you provided.

Hope this helps. If my answer has been helpful, please remember to click "accept"

Thank you!