How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Bornfeld, DDS Your Own Question
Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Category: Dental
Satisfied Customers: 6015
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
Type Your Dental Question Here...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a small bone spur on my right lower jaw which has rubbed

Customer Question

I have a small bone spur on my right lower jaw which has rubbed my tongue can I get rid of the bone spur and the raw tongue? I have been using Kananka (?) to numb the do I get rid of the bone spur?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

If the issue causing the tongue soreness is indeed a bone spur, this is something that will need to be surgically removed. There is nothing you can safely do yourself to eliminate bone without risking infection and bleeding.

You should consult with an oral surgeon for the purpose of removing the bone spur, as well as to assess the reasons for this issue so that it doesn't recur. Your general dentist can provide you with a referral, or you may consult the online directory of the American Association of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons for contact information for an oral surgeon in your community.

Hope this helps...